Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Hookers, I need help!

So my New Years resolution this year was
to start another rug hooking project
so i got it out and drew out a pattern

i found a stack of backings.
with monks cloth, prim linin and these 3.
1st question - for you guys is do you know if
 these are rug warping?

i had bought books on dyeing, supplies ect.

i was all set to dive in.
then my husband got sick
well then it got put on the back burner. 
i have finished 5 rugs over the years 
and  have done just a bit of dyeing.
i reorganized my totes of wool and 
have lots i would like to over dye
alot of creams, beiges, tans, greys plain/plaids
 that i would never use.
i would like to do some antique blacks to use as backgrounds.
so a couple questions
2 - do you use one color black to dye black or is there a nice 
recipe for antique black someone will share with me?

3 - do hooker/dyers mind sharing a recipe?

4 - do i pick a color off this Cushings perfect dye color card and order that color
or is it better to have a recipe to get nice prim colors? 

there are nice recipes in this book,
just wondering what you guys do?

i think i have the process down but just confused on the dyes..

so if anyone can help me out i would love some input, 
or point me in the right direction, blogs ect..
and i very much appreciate it!

I rescued this lil gal from being under a tarp in my garden (at least 3 weeks)
right b/4 Christmas! she was so cold and could barley function..
was 7 lbs maybe 7 months old.
her name is Sweet Noel cuz she is so dang sweet!
and such a good supervisor!


Sam has been hanging out with Dennis!
hes a busy! big boy!
 
and Koa is here Monday - Friday
 still keeping us company!

thank you my blog friends! enjoy your winter days...             jody

7 comments:

  1. I am not sure if that bottom one is rug warp. It is hard to hook a wide cut on. but the others I think are linen. The dye book you have is the one I use the most she has an antique black in there and I would use her recipes and her method. So glad you are picking up the hook again!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRAP! I deleted my comment. Let me try again. ARGH!

    Happy to see a post from you and happy you have picked up your hook!
    1. I don't think that is rug warp based on what I can see.
    2. I have had a hard time dyeing black, but did find a recipe in an old issue of Rug Hooking Magazine that came out pretty good. I will look for it and email it to you.
    3. I am not sure if sharing a recipe from a particular dye book is a "copyright infringement" and we don't want the copyright police to show up at our doorstep.
    4. With the price of dyes, I think it best to buy dye for specific recipes so you know you will be using them.
    BTW...that is my favorite dye book, too.
    What a sweet new furkid. Thank you for rescuing her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. For whatever reason cannot access email from your profile page, so here goes...

    Antique Black
    Cushing dyes

    1/4 t black
    1 t olive green
    1/2 t dark brown
    1 CBW
    According to directions, use over 9 oz assorted dark wools. Not sure how it would be over light wools.
    I took 9 oz of wool to be 3/4 yard.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Have a wonderful day
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thank you so much guys! i appreciate your input! i remember when i was starting to make soap. took me forever and way to much researching..have been doing the same with dyeing, going to order a few Cushing dyes today off etsy and get started. i think black will probably be the hardest but will give your recipe a try! love hearing from you both and figured you would chime in! i will be by to visit! yes, 62 today, i get my eyes checked at 11 ha ha, I share a birthday with blog friend Trace! enjoy your day guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jody, Happy Birthday. It's so good seeing a post from you. Yay for picking up the hook again. I have a rug on the go but have put it aside for a little while because I ran into a snag so I'm crocheting a baby blanket in single crochet and it's going slow but so enjoyable.

    I'm glad that Lauren could give you an antique black recipe. I was wondering what the CBW stand for in the recipe?

    What a gorgeous long hair kitty. I'm so glad that you rescued her. All my kitties just showed up at my door and one by one they were all adopted and were exceptionally amazing pets.

    Sweet Noel is a lucky girl.
    Take care
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia it's so nice to hear from you! I think of you often I need to stop by your blog and catch up! I hope all is well with you! I'm sure you've had enough of this winter as I have! It feels good to pick up my hook again, I'm hoping it will be a year of hooking! I've got plenty of soap on hand,I have made plenty of quilts, I have some wool applique I can work on.. I would like to concentrate on hooking!
    I actually would also like to knit or crochet a bit also, maybe dish rags! My dad's mother used to have a knitting shop out at their garden shop she taught many people how to knit including me when I was a little girl.. okay from research I have learned that CBW means cup of boiling water! I'm very thankful for input from my blog friends! I knew that you guys would be here with an answer for me!
    Sweet Noel is such a sweetie I tell you today she actually played with a button that I dropped on the floor I have not seen her play yet, and I have tried to get her to play, it's taking a while for her to adjust but I'm just letting her do it at her own time.. thanks so much Julia for stopping by! I hope to stop by soon!

    ReplyDelete